Our History

2022
Community Grocer Project To Be Launched

The road ahead will see the St Barnabas car park repurposed into a Community Grocery for the people of Middlesbrough to use.

2009
Reordering Of The Church

To safeguard the long-term future of the building and create a building that could be used by the wider community, the church nave was re-ordered.

1997
Death of Ian Reid

Ian Reid, long serving vicar of St Barnabas from 1976 to 1997 sadly died in office with Erik Wilson following on in 1998.

1978
David Watson Visits St Barnabas

Highly influential church leader and writer David Watson visits St Barnabas Church and the visit is deemed a ‘huge success’

1952
The Church’s 60th Anniversary

On the 60th anniversary of the church building’s opening the vicar, Canon Wareham, defined the church’s chief purpose as ‘making disciples for Christ’

1941
Bombing Destroys The Curate’s House

Due to enemy action, the chancel windows, as well as the curate’s house in 388 Linthorpe Road, were damaged.

1911
The Church Hall Opens

Built by Doughty & Sons, the hall was located on the opposite side of the road and officially opened and dedicated by the Archbishop of York

1892
The Archbishop consecrates the existing church

Preaching on Acts 11:23. The Archbishop encouraged the early chiuch leaders to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts.

1875
St Barnabas Mission Church

St Barnabas Mission Church (now demolished) was put up. It stood as part of the former Doughty’s brickyard, where Megarth Road now stands

1872
The Church First Opens

St Barnabas holds its first services in the Albert Park Hotel’s gym (this building is still there and located just off of Linthorpe Road)